The ICC IS-LOG Committee is charged with the development and maintenance of ICC400 Standard on the Design and Construction of Log Structures.
Rob participated in the earliest of the discussions and was elected by the committee members to chair the 2007 and 2012 IS-LOG Committees
The Log Homes Council retained Steven Winter Associates in the late 1970’s to establish a standard for the visual stress grading of non-rectangular timbers used in log construction. The result was ASTM D3957. With that the standard and accreditation by the National Evaluation Service in place, training and implementation fell into Rob’s hands. He has been in log grading ever since.
Today, the Log Homes Council of the National Association of Home Builders is accredited through the International Accreditation Service, Inc. as a rules-writing log grading agency. Ed Burke maintains the accreditation.
- Program Administration -- Ed Burke has performed this function since 1986.
- Quality Supervisory Agents -- Certified third-party inspectors for LHC Members enrolled in the Log Grading Program [Alex, Ed, Rob]
- Moisture Content Task Force — Participant in the development and implementation of moisture content certification under the LHC Log Grading Program, 2006-2008 [Ed & Rob]
- LHC Grading Program Design Stress Values & Structural Tables (Load Tables, Wall-Log Span Tables, Sawn Round Timber Beam Span Tables), 2004, revised 2005, 2007 [Rob & Alex]
- Log Grading Committee Chair— 1993 to 1998 [Rob], 1999 [Alex]
- Training & Certification of Participants — Initial training was contracted to Steven Winter Associates, Inc. with training sessions held in 1984 in Albany, NY, Missoula, MT, and Knoxville, TN. [Rob] Ed Burke has performed the on-going training since 1986, adding principles of wood science to the training.
- Log Homes Council Grading Program Training & Operations Manual; Log Homes Council of the National Association of Home Builders contracted with Steven Winter Associates, Inc. to create a grading program. This document was developed by Rob while part of Steven Winter Associates and was first published in 1984. Ed Burke has worked with IAS to update it several times as Program Administrator.
- Energy Code Cracker Barrel sessions: U.S. Dept. of Energy National Workshop on State Energy Building Codes (2005-2007).
- An Introduction to ICC400; Colorado Chapter of the ICC, Foremost Insurance
- Log Home Construction, National Association of Home Builders’ International Builders’ Show, Builder Educational Programs: 2000 - Dallas, 2001 and 2002 - Atlanta, 2003 and 2004 - Las Vegas, and 2005 through 2007 - Orlando
- The Design and Construction of Log Structures at the 2004 Building Systems Council’s SHOWCASE.
- Presentations on technical matters to the Technical Committee, Steering Committee, Log Grading Committee and Log Homes Council Membership.
- Industry presentations to building officials and to dealers, distributors, and other sales personnel of log home manufacturers on topics such as log grading, building codes, proprietary pricing techniques and design department updates.